There has been an ongoing discussion about the pros and cons of athletics at our school during the COVID – 19 pandemic. After careful consideration and in consultation with the Department of Public Health and the St. Lawrence County Board of Health, our section will be moving forward with athletics. The earliest start date for any athletics would be September 21st.
This being said, it is up to individual schools to determine the correct path forward for them. The guidance received from NYS DOH and from NYSPHAA has given us some direction but can be contrary to the regular reopening guidelines. We have a lot to prepare in order to accomplish this objective. We also have only been back to school for 5 days and haven’t seen the full affect that increased student contact may have.
For both of these reasons I am delaying the beginning of the fall sports season at SLC until September 28th for varsity soccer teams and October 5th for JV and modified soccer teams. This will still allow for the required practices before games begin. The season will culminate on November 14th.
After consulting with the swim coaches, Athletic Directors, and Superintendents from our section, the section has decided to delay girls swimming until March 1, 2021 – April 18, 2021. This will allow them the possible opportunity for a Sectional Championship and spectators at their meets. Which may not be an option right now with current restrictions.
I believe this is the best way forward for both the health and safety of our students and staff. It also allows us the opportunity to get our kids back to play!
Superintendent of Schools