Brasher Falls CSD St. Lawrence Central Schools

Skip to main content Search

Novel Coronavirus Information as of March 11, 2020

As of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic. We understand that the uncertainty surrounding this ever-evolving situation causes anxiety among our school community, however, we want to assure our community that there is no need to panic. We are working diligently to prevent the spread of illness in our schools and we will continue to communicate with parents, staff, and the public and share updates as information becomes available.

Brasher Falls Central School District  is working closely with the St. Lawrence County Department of Health and following all guidance by the New York State Department of Education and NYS Department of Health, as well as recommendations by the CDC. 

Maintenance staff are taking extra precautions to prevent illness from spreading by cleaning and disinfecting classrooms and surfaces according to clear and specific guidance released last week by the NYS Department of Health NYSED. 

We have a District Wide Safety Plan in place and are currently taking steps to update this plan to address specific responses to a potential Coronavirus outbreak.

At this point, decisions to cancel certain travel plans, large group gatherings, and events are being made on a case-by-case basis. We will notify our community of any cancellation of upcoming events as soon as the decision is made. We anticipate clear directives from the SLC DOH on these types of events moving forward.

Brasher Falls Central School District will follow directives from the NYSED and NYSDOH on closures:

  • If a case is confirmed with a student or staff member, the school will immediately close for a 24 hour period to allow time for disinfecting and investigation into the contacts among staff and students. 
  • The decision to close will come from the DOH and not the district.
  • After a department of health assessment of the situation, the district will be directed on the next steps which could include additional closure time.

We are currently examining options for online learning should a closure occur. We are still in the information gathering stage and details have yet to be determined.

We will continue to update our community via our website and Facebook page.   The One-Call Now system will be used for announcements requiring immediate notification.